Monday, January 23, 2012

Trying to feed a Vegan a real meal, by chef standards

Occasionally an email comes along with a request for something above and beyond, I always welcome these, some do some don't but for me its a chance to try and get my staff interested in something away from the every day.  Special requests and dietary needs are more popular than ever and it seems to me better to accommodate the guest and push ourselves to grow.

Appetizer: a take on sashimi but vegan ( as a meat eater I take the liberty of looking to what I like for inspiration)

Avocado sashimi with a crudo of pickled ginger, red onions, chives and mirin,  its topped with crispy shallots and served with ponzu broth.

 The ponzu broth is part ponzu and part kombu broth made with vegetable stock

For the main course I went risotto, but protein is usually an issue for vegans so I added pureed white beans which also helped simulate the creaminess from adding cheese and butter which are not an option for vegans.
Pequillo pepper risotto with preserved lemon, pepinos, lemon oil and herb oil poached artichokes
Keep an out out for more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment