Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Kimchi with Heyjoo

I love kimchi, its spicy, funky, has a depth of flavor that fits into so many different things.  When I come across something i really enjoy eating, my natural curiosity makes me want to learn how to make it.  I am a Polack, with some Irish mixed in, but I know what I like.   I have had decent success with making sauerkraut, pickles, beer and kimchi but I actually got the chance to learn how the South Koreans do it!  What is better than that?  
Meet HeyJoo, read, talented cook with a great attitude.


Start by washing the Napa Cabbage in 1% salt water, "dip and rub"

Season in between each layer with sea salt and allow to wilt for 4 hours, flip the heads of cabbage and let marinate another 4 hours
The following day, combine the ingredients and mix together 
The following day put together the garnish for the Kimchee,
Carrot Batons
Long cut Scallions
Diakon Batons
Chili
"Slurry"
         1 part flour
         3 parts water
         Cook the mixture while stirring until glutenous and smooth, this mix will help the spice adhere to the cabbage.  If you are interested in gluten free you can easily skip the slurry.

Chili Powder, Preferably Korean for flavor, Hot chili flakes work but make a very spicy finished product.



Season with fish sauce and mix to a paste


Next layer the "paste" in-between the layers of wilted Napa cabbage generously



Pack into a tight container that you won't miss for a few weeks.  Keep the Kimchi at room temperature the kimchi should be ready in about 12 days.  I like it a bit fizzy (somewhere around 20-24 days), Once it reaches the "point" refrigerate to slow the fermentation.
Give it a try, if you need some motivation take a look at the kimchi party video on YouTube.  
If that doesn't get you primed, I don't know what will...

No comments:

Post a Comment