Monday, October 31, 2011

My New Life as a Restaurant Chef



Step 1, "Your mission should you choose to accept it" ..... Chef Max Knoepfel


May 2011, I signed on at the Westchester Country Club in Rye NY as the Beach Chef, a separate entity I was managing 4 separate outlets an amazing property altogether.  My primary function was as food manager, we had some cool stations and setups, there were some amazing events and being its a very private club, pictures are limited.

Lobster Bake



This is the site, 400 yards of beachfront, the property opened late May and closed for the season in mid September.  
So thats what I spent the summer doing, well actually, the summer was spent waking up, teaching a group of young kids from high school to collage age how to hold a knife, cook burgers and set the  various outlets.  This job was the first time I was actually  required to act like an Executive Chef, this was the first time I was responsible for the labor, food cost,  food quality, guest experience, staffing, training, SOP development.  I have never felt so accomplished in any work that I have done. I needed my team and support from my bosses.  The support at home from a very patient Mrs. has been key. That experience  has led us to my new roll as the Restaurant Chef at the Sports House on the main property.

No comments:

Post a Comment